BOREALIS HIRING FOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER INTERNSHIP ROLE
Borealis GeoPower seeks an energetic and self-motivated Software Engineer Intern to join our technical team. As an intern, you will participate in the day-to-day activities of our organization and help advance our proprietary technology, Optimized Geothermal and Element Exploration (OGE).
Title: Software Engineer Intern
Location: Borealis Geopower Inc. - Calgary, AB
Our portfolio includes projects as well as a diverse collection of consulting assignments. We are the next generation of renewable energy and mineral/metal recovery via brine mining. Our goal is to unlock Canada’s vast geothermal energy potential. Our team is working to enable geothermal electricity and heat production as a player in the Canadian renewable energy market.
Start date: May 1, 2020 (Full-time)
Internship period: This internship position is for an initial term of 2 months. There is potential for extension.
Number of Positions: 1
Deadline: Upon filling of position
As part of this role you will:
- Become familiar with accessing the ESRI ArcGIS geodatabase;
- Test and optimize existing Python scripts;
- Develop Python and/or R scripts to statistically analyse data;
- Contribute to technical reports.
There are also potential opportunities to gain alternative skills through assisting the technical team in upcoming fieldwork campaigns (which may require travelling for extended periods of time).
Through this internship, you will develop the following skills:
- Teamwork: in a small company, you will learn the importance of working as a team and how the outcomes of your work generate value for your colleagues. Teamwork skills will also be further enhanced during fieldwork, which by its very nature is team oriented.
- Communication: as part of the technical team, you will actively participate in regular meetings wherein each member communicates to each other the tasks/projects that they are working on etc. Additionally, you will be required to contribute to technical reports and document any procedures developed during your internship.
- Digital skills: you will gain further experience with ESRI software suite and geodatabases and will be exposed to Python and/or R scripts associated with ArcGIS.
- Leadership: through fieldwork, you will have the opportunity to use your initiative when taking samples and be responsible for ensuring that fieldwork is safely completed within a reasonable time frame.
- Good work ethic
- Detail oriented
- Good communication skills
- Experience with Python/R programming
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Additional preferred skills, but not required:
- Experience with ArcPy and SQL
- Background in geoscience
References may be requested.
Application materials: Candidates are asked to send their Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Borealis thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.